Sunday, April 19, 2009

Oatmeal-Eat it or Stuff it in Cracks but serve it in a beautiful pottery bowl.

Have you ever eaten blue oatmeal from blueberries? The walnuts "saved" the flavor and added a better texture. It is just oats, whole grain oats. It is served in a gorgeous bowl from a wood firing workshop in Tennesee, made by MacKenzie Smith.

This is the pottery bowl I made about 24 years ago. When I tell friends and customers how nicely pottery can age, this is the bowl I am describing. It has been used for years and ages only with little chips on the rim. I love it and use it a lot. It is the perfect size.

Horses like oats. Horses are strong. I am not crazy about horses or oats.
Oatmeal is a healthy food so I make myself try and like it in a healthy way. I did not add more sugar only Stevia and and blueberries and 1/2 a container of yogurt and 1/4 c. toasted walnuts for some texture. The nuts helped it not to resemble papier mache paste.
I cannot tolerate instant or quick oats and unlike the promises it only satisfies me for a short morning. I know how to make it good. Add real maple syrup. Or maybe add a cup of strawberries. Cream and butter would "beef it up." No.

So here it is. Look at it. It is served in a lovely thrown bowl from a workshop at Arrowmont with MacKinzie Smith. The bowl is lovely. The spoon is fine quality and smooth to the lips as well. And then well, there are the oats. Without adding significant calories and "points" it is just horse food and I'm no horse. Oats should be used to stuff cracks in houses and keep levies from cracking. Oops. They also lower cholesterol. I will eat them anyway and try not to neigh or shake my neck.

The soup? Much better but not very photogenic. Lots of healthy veggies and a touch of Canadian bacon. Cabbage, carrots, red peppers, onions, V-8 juice, herbs and spices. And a touch of low fat mozzarella cheese. Beats oatmeal and much more filling.

I think I can. I think I can.

Food is nourishment for our bodies, not an orgy of flavors and fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment