Monday, February 8, 2010

Delicious Dessert Chocolate Chip Muffins


OK so this blog is about as much about food as pottery. I'm guilty, I'll admit it. I love to cook good food. Most potters do. Make bowls and plates and fill them up with homemade food made with tender loving care.
I learned something from my tiny little mother in law would not eat a real piece of cheese or butter if her life depended on it. She said, Desserts should not be diet food. Agreed.

I think back to the family reunions in the country in Osgood Indiana when I was a little girl. I just realized maybe that affected me more than I thought. Like Water For Chocolate kind of ladies with skills mostly in German foods like potato salad, coleslaw, macaroni salad and heavy casseroles. All those large boned ladies in their feed sack farmer's dresses. They loved to cook and there were tables full of bowls with rich mayonnaise ridden foods, not to mention the fried chicken and whatever. It would be fun to go back in time and have a good look to see what really was in all those big Pyrex bowls on those large wooden tables with the thick brown table legs made to support those incredible family reunion meals. They cooked and chatted all day while the men sat in a circle of chairs outside. Kids ran around outside and exploring the rooms in the big brick house while wondering how everyone was related.
Making pottery is kind of like cooking. You just fire it higher and eat it instead of using it. When I first moved to Tulsa and had a 6 month old little girl, a rental house with no studio space and knew no one, I cooked for creativity. I also cooked for cash. I made muffins and bread for my new neighbors delivered to their door at whatever time they wanted it. I knew an ex-school teacher who made more money doing that than teaching. I always wondered if I could do the same.

So from my favorite muffin book, Muffin Mania, used to supply new neighbors with treats I share this delicious Chocolate Chip Muffin recipe. It is fast, easy and delicious. The ingredients are simple and it will make you wonder why you would ever purchase a cellophane wrapped muffin again. PS Use high quality really good chocolate chips. Yes, you can lower the calories with a few diet tricks or make smaller muffins but I will take my Mother in laws attitude about dessert on this one. Delicious. Pretty fast for a dessert treat.

Chocolate Chip Dessert Muffins

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter
1 egg
1 cup chocolate chips

Mix dry ingredients and add chocolate chips.

Combine egg, milk, and butter and stir into flour mixture. do not beat.

Bake 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

A few chocolate chips melted and drizzled over the tops when slightly cooled, make these a special dessert treat for chocolate lovers.

makes 12 regular size

No comments:

Post a Comment