Friday, June 20, 2008

Garcia Street Books

I love books. I don't need more books but I buy them anyway and hope I have time to read them. If I am able to see when I hit the rest home I have several years of reading to keep me entertained.

So,one of my favorite bookstores in Santa Fe is the Garcia Street Books, right next to a pretty good coffee shop that has great magazines for sale. On the other side is a photo gallery. It is all located just off Canyon Road, 376 Garcia Street.

I usually buy everything off Amazon but this bookstore is such great quality I felt like buying a new book or two there to support and encourage such a great bookstore.

The Books I could not resist this time were Seven Sins for a Life Worth Living by Roger Housden. It is full of great quotes and thoughtful chapters with an almost Unitarian view about interpreting life, a very supportive book for me now. It was reduced from $18.95 to $6.99.

3 Fun Quotes
1.
We must be willing to let go
of the life we have planned
so as to have the life
that is waiting for us.
-Joseph Campbell

2.
There is a crack, a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
-Leonard Cohen

3.
When you die,
God and the angels
will hold you accountable
for all the pleasures
you were allowed in life
that you denied yourself.
-Anonymous


The other irresistible book is Nora Ephron's
I Feel Bad About My Neck

It is hilarious. It has a chapter describing all women's aging necks with the full descriptions and another chapter about the search for the perfect purse and how our purses relate to our basic personalities. This is a great gift to give all our friends.
A quote or two from her chapter "What I Wish I'd Known."
Buy. don't rent.
Never marry a man you would not want to be divorced from.
The plane is not going to crash.
The empty nest is underrated.
You can order more than one desert.
If the shoe does not fit in the shoe store, it is never going to fit.
Over insure everything.
There 's no point in making pie crust from scratch.
If only one third of your clothes are mistakes, you're ahead of the game.
There are no secrets.

I read both of these books in the car out loud to John almost all the home.


No comments:

Post a Comment