Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Visiting Home, Tennessee

















I am back in Tulsa again after a quick high school and family reunion in Tennessee. I am amazed when I look at the scenery how similar it is to the Hawaiian lush greenery. I had not related the two but now I see it in the photos. Who knew I grew up in a Tennessee rain forest?

These photos show a part of my design history, the greens, the rock like feel and the lushness of the surface. Rocks, woods and water are three basic elements in my design inspiration.

Now I look west. I would like to live near the desert mountains in Santa Fe but this is where I came from. It took a long time to get over the homesick feelings I had for Tennessee. I drew the soft mountain lines of the horizon on my plates and platters. The cool blues found their way onto my pots.

Now I belong on this side of the Mississippi River. Tennessee and the Appalachian Mountains will always be a part of me but I look westward and want to go there and live there.

No comments:

Post a Comment